Storms can happen anywhere at any time of year, and when they’re severe they can cause major damage.
If you need emergency storm assistance, call us at 132 500. For life-threatening emergencies, call Triple Zero (000).
There are eight things you can do now to prepare your home and reduce the potential damage caused by severe storms:
- Secure loose items in your yard.
- Clear your gutters, downpipes and drains to prevent blockages.
- Trim trees and branches that could fall on your home or property.
- Fix any damage to your roof.
- Check your insurance policy is current and covers you for storm damage.
- Make an emergency plan for your family that explains what you would do in an emergency.
- Put together an Emergency Kit (238KB PDF), including a battery-powered radio, torch and spare batteries.
- Check local media for information, updates and advice.
Storms can often bring torrential rain, strong winds, large hailstones and lightning. They can also unroof buildings, cause flash flooding, damage trees and bring down powerlines.
Even if your property is not actually damaged, you can still be impacted by a storm. If access roads are cut off or you have no power or phone access, you need to know what to do and where to turn for help.
Storms can also result in tornadoes, with places like Penola, Karoonda, Renmark and Port Broughton suffering significant damage as a result of tornadoes hitting their towns.