The South Australian State Emergency Service (SASES) is a volunteer-based emergency assistance and rescue service. We provide emergency assistance to the people of South Australia 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year.
We respond to thousands of calls for assistance from the South Australian community each year. Our volunteers have saved the lives and property of countless South Australians.
We respond to:
• Extreme weather events – floods, storms, and heatwaves
• Road crashes
• Marine, swiftwater, vertical and confined space rescues.
We assist South Australia Police (SAPOL) in land search operations and traffic management. We support the South Australia Country Fire Service (CFS) during major bushfires.
A reliable and trusted volunteer-based organisation building safe and resilient communities.
To minimise the loss of life, injuries and damage from emergencies and natural disasters.
• Service – we proudly serve the community and Government of South Australia
• Professionalism – we strive for excellence
• Trust – we have confidence in the ability of others
• Respect – we value every individual
• Collaboration & engagement – we create solutions together
• Honesty & integrity – we act truthfully, consistently, and fairly
• Courage & tenacity – we never give up
• Sustainability – we work to get the best results for current and future generations of South Australians.
Today we have about 1,600 volunteers based in 73 units across South Australia. Our volunteers are supported by a team of full time staff.